                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

I got this message when I captured an enemy's Helsinki and the server
automatically renamed it to Valencia, because I already had another city
called Helsinki.

The bug sounded trivial, so I decided to investigate:

  sz_strlcpy(old_city_name, city_name(pcity));
  if (CNM_PLAYER_UNIQUE == game.server.allowed_city_names
      && city_list_find_name(ptaker->cities, city_name(pcity))) {
    sz_strlcpy(pcity->name,
               city_name_suggestion(ptaker, pcenter));
    notify_player(ptaker, pcenter, E_BAD_COMMAND, ftc_server,
                  _("You already had a city called %s."
                    " The city was renamed to %s."),
                  old_city_name,
                  city_link(pcity));
  }

My guess is that city_link() creates the link correctly to the city now called
Valencia, but the client processes this link by city id rather than by name,
and thus uses the old name.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with the code to investigate further.