> Obviously civ1/civ2 rulesets shouldn't be changed if that's how
> those games behaved, although that does leave the incongruity
> of ancient oil derricks.

Oil Well was not added to civ/2 but they have Mine regardless of terrain.
Those rulesets are supposed to be rules-, not graphics-wise, compatible.

As for other rulesets, oil wells are known from 347 CE (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_well ) so it would be nice to allow Desert
Oil Wells relatively early and Glacier Oil Wells later.
I would propose something like giving Glacier tiles "Mining_Possible" effect
only when Refining is known. For Desert tiles we can either give
"Mining_Possible" when Construction is known, or we can make Construction
requirement for Oil Well.