> Maybe should we commit the patch and keep this ticket open for
> eventual further details?

You're sure it fixes something, aren't you? There's just the question if the
problem I reported was the one being fixed? So obviously the fix should be
committed.
For the ticket I'm confident enough that the fix is for the problem in
question (it would be statistically rather unlikely that no random autogame
with the fix has hit the problem in the days passed when without the fix there
was 4 failures in 12 hours), so I'd close the ticket once patch is applied,
and reopen if problem occurs again.