I tested Vagrant on Windows, so I guess you are running into some platform
issues on Debian. Hopefully it should be pretty easy to fix, I'll try setting
up Vagrant on Linux myself to fix them.

First of all, you are correct about port 80 is not working easily in Linux,
since this is a privileged port on Linux. So port-forwarding on port 80 is
something to investigate further. Does running vagrant as root solve it?

Next, the virtual box is Ubuntu 13.10 for amd64. Do you have 64 bit support?

> It gets further (to another error) when using port 8080 in stead of port 80
of the host machine.

What is the other error message you get after fixing the port issue?