That feels frustrating. We do have all necessary fallbacks in place for
building IPv4-only freeciv when the environment does not support freeaddrinfo,
but as it's configure time and not runtime thing, it makes no sense our
official Windows builds to be set up that way (no IPv6 support, and IPv4
support with fallback mechanisms) for the sake of obsolete system. It might be
possible to provide separate build for Win2k, but I still would stop claiming
official support for Win2k (it might work, but if not, nobody will answer your
call).

Wikia not allowing edits just now due to maintenance, so cannot add comments
there.