1) The server to connect is saved to client options. So if you have "Save
Options on Exit" set (by default it is), it should always start with the
server used last.
2) You can give it from commandline. For example I have different scripts for
different kind of freeciv uses I have, each automatically connecting to
related server.
2) Making "the default" server more arbitrary would mean things like
"freeciv-gtk2 -a" behaving unexpected ways. One would assume it to always to
connect to same server, not to server client happened to connect last.

So, one has to do more to convince me that this would be good and needed
feature, or how to implement it a way that does not have any problems.