I admit I did not take into account this difference between civ1 and current
freeciv when I wrote it, but my idea was to calculate automatically if the
unit is fortified or not, not linked to the "fortify" action, but to the
movement points of the unit, so the setting "unitwaittime" can be taken into
account.

I'd rewrite it for freeciv current behavior:
- when the unit is going to recover the movement points (after the
"unitwaittime" of this turn), if the unit had remaining movement points from
previous turn, then the unit is automatically considered fortified (and the
fortified icon is drawn), until it moves again.

But I admit I like the civ1 alternative and it would be great to be able to
choose between them.