It's not a single thing, but overall quality. Techically we have current
ruleset quite well covered, but as I have had no time to do kind of
playtesting I hoped to do, playability / game balance has many problems. It
simply doesn't work as a game. Once properly identified, fixing those issues
probably require technical changes I can't currently foresee. Iterate several
times.
Still, we've going to have alien ruleset in the default custom modpack list of
the modpack installer even in 2.5, so it's not like not including it to the
core distribution makes it unavailable.