It occurred to me after I was writing this message that the slowness is
likely because of the lack of GPU support on most Chromebooks. I'll check
it out on another platform on my other (faster) machine.

However, I am seeing some weirdness in the HTML UI, specifically the tabs
and the Freeciv logo on the top. Their padding is zeroed out and the logo
is cut off. I can provide a screenshot if it would help.