> My only doubt is whether there's some circumstance I haven't
> thought of where extending darkness sprites up to rectangular
> edges could lead to ugly stepping artifacts.

Waiting forever is not going to change that, I assume. So I'd make the change
before 2.5.0-beta1 and revert it if problems get reported. (While we can
revert it when ever problems get reported, we should not commit it after beta
period in the first place, but include it in beta already or not at all)