                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release: 2.5.0,2.6.0

Patch #4461 made it possible for tileset authors to specify which layer the
darkness sprites are drawn at.
The main benefit of this is that for iso or hex tilesets where tile graphics
protrude outside the tile boundary, authors can now have darkness on top of
that, as at least some want.

File #19968 modifies hex2t to be compatible with this; without a tilespec
change as well, there's no visible change, but if you set darkness_layer=1,
then the drawing style is changed.
(Attached an equivalent for isophex.)

Since I think these make no visible change to the supplied tilesets by
default, we could include them as a good example of how to do darkness
sprites. Should we do so?

If so, we might want to give the other tilesets the same treatment (amplio,
amplio2, isotrident).
Or maybe not -- those are all darkness_style=4 tilesets (where fog and
darkness are combined), for which it makes less sense to set darkness_layer>0
(unlike darkness, you probably didn't want fog over protruding graphics), I've
just realised (perhaps that's worth a comment in the supplied tilesets).
In contrast, hex2t and isophex are darkness_style=2, where fog and darkness
are handled separately.

My only doubt is whether there's some circumstance I haven't thought of where
extending darkness sprites up to rectangular edges could lead to ugly stepping
artifacts.

File Attachments:

Date: Sat 19 Apr 2014 17:14:21 BST  Name: darkness.png  Size: 475B   By: jtn
data/isophex/darkness.png based on trunk r24775