The way I see it, I think the upkeep should take into acount all the cities
from all the players on the same team, as you point.

The original idea of this new style was to redefine the tech upkeep as "the
bulbs needed per city".
When the tech upkeep is 10, one player should pay 10 bulbs per city, and 4
players in same team should also pay 10 bulbs per city.

If the tech upkeep is shared and paid only once per team, I think it should
take into account all the cities owned by the team.