I find ZoC imposition from Settlers/Workers to be useful, in part because
Workers are cheap, yet remain useful over a long time (as opposed to early
inexpensive military units, which become an upkeep burden or require costly
upgrading).  I sometimes prioritise improvements of certain areas of the map
just to block exploration by opposition military units during a Cease Fire in
the start of a game.

That said, hiding mapping of unimproved land early in the game may not
actually be as strategically useful in practice as I think it is, so perhaps
I'm just being inefficient in my gameplay (in which case, it doesn't make
sense for Settler/Worker to impose ZOC).