> I find ZoC imposition from Settlers/Workers to be useful [...]
Well, yes, clearly it's useful if you're using it to get in someone else's way
:)

The case that annoyed me most recently was a friendly (ceasefire) AI nation's
Settlers wandering through my lands to get at unclaimed territory, which I
then claimed. Having lost their purpose, they then sat on one of my roads
doing nothing and getting in the way, and I couldn't do anything without
declaring war. Their ZOC made this much more annoying.

I think having highly mobile Explorers able to also impose ZOC on ceasefire
neighbours is too exploitative, too.