See http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_Contribute for patch creation.

Even before I have downloaded the patch I see that it's not well named -
"my_patch" is not describing well that the patch does. After handling
thousands of freeciv patches, I'm no longer remembering what each instance of
"my-patch", "my_patch" and "mypatch", do. Forcing the work of naming
(renaming) the patch to me is not helping it forward. It also should have
proper ".patch" suffix (it's a patch -file, isn't it) for various tools to
handle it properly. Now I don't even get preview of it from gna
automatically.