Update of patch #4658 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #3:

As I look through the code in areas related to this, it seems this facility
already exists in a few different ways, between the server advisors, the AI
type data structure, and the unit class cache.  There are facilities to cache
information on ruleset load and per-turn.  These facilities should be used
more, but I doubt anyone is going to write a comprehensive patch merging
everything, and as individual features migrate into the cache, it is probably
better to review them as individual tickets.

I've marked this ticket "Done", because it was done before it was started: I
just didn't understand the code well enough to use it immediately, rather than
because any action was taken directly against this ticket.  I also don't
believe this makes a good meta-ticket, simply because the variety of cacheable
information is so large, it becomes hard to know when it might be complete.

On Marko's comment about maintainability: while I agree that we want things to
be convenient, I'm not sure we want to have everything recached per-turn: the
existing caches populated at ruleset load could be moved to per-turn, but at
the cost of increasing the per-turn computational requirements.  If anyone
feels strongly that this should be done, please reopen this ticket, and I'll
migrate all the caches I can find to happen per-turn instead of being part of
various initialisations.