I went back to the official version of freeciv Freeciv-2.5.0-beta1-gtk3.
Nothing here compiled by me. It uses gtk3.6
I tested using 3 themes freeciv, clearlooks-phenix and raleigh.
the comparison of the 3 flags is attached. Presumably the original icon for
the flags is the same so the difference must either come from the fact that it
is slightly resized or has a different background. I prefer the Raleigh one
here.

(file #22625)

File name: Comparison-theme-flags.PNG     Size:80 KB