Update of bug #23382 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #5:

> Now distcheck is apparently complaining about the fact that
> 'make dist' tries to regenerate the file even when it already
> exist.

More precisely: It tries to regenerate one to replace the one found from
tarball supposedly identical to what we are creating (the machinery to check
that is that we have given no write permissions to the directory we would
"illegally" write to, so this ends up being more than just a warning) That's
because it's .PHONY target. Automake is wrong here in the sense that the
regenerated file would be identical to the original in the specific case that
matters.

Attached patch works around distcheck problems by (always) generating the file
as temporary file to builddir, then comparing it to the one in srcdir, and
copying it over (only) if they differ. So it won't try to attempt the copy
(i.e. write) to srcdir in the case where the file is not allowed to change, or
if it ever does, that indicates a real problem somewhere else.

The patch also modifies stats.sh so that it does not try to create temporary
file inside the src tree while working.

I hope to commit this to TRUNK/S2_6 before next fullmoon run.

(file #24081)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: LangstatBuildToSrc.patch       Size:2 KB