I don't really want to rejig the player colours again. See my previous descent
into madness in bug #19778.

Perhaps the client could pick from a light or dark text colour depending on
the background?

W3C <http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/WD-AERT/#color-contrast> (via here
<http://www.particletree.com/notebook/calculating-color-contrast-for-legible-text/>)
suggests some simple perception-based metrics for choosing. (If this is
implemented, it should be in colors_common or somewhere, since it's useful to
any client)

Probably just pick whichever of white or black text gives a better
brightness-difference score. (Under bug #19778 I decided that white and black
would never be player colours, not that I wrote that policy down anywhere.)