On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Michael Devore wrote:

> What we need people to do is try EMM386 with any DOS extended program
> they may have available and see how well it works, or not, with
> interactive feedback either way.  NOEMS and NOVCPI may be tried for the
> venturesome.

Looks very promising! -- it looks like the programs work. But I see one
problem now with both dos4gw 1.97 and causeway.

fd kernel 2033, freecom 0.82pl3
config.sys:
dos=umb,high
lastdrive=z
device=himem64.exe
device=emm38664.exe
shellhigh=command.com /e:2048 /p

nothing loaded in autoexec.bat

running *any* dos4gw or causeway program I tested I got a "dos mem corrupt
message".

simplest case:

d:\watcom\binw>cwstub
Causeway error 11: DOS reported an error or corrupt file found.
dos mem corrupt, first_mcb=02c2
prev cf42:0000|4d 00 00 3c 10 06 .... (crap)
notMZdf7f:0000|00 00 00 00 00 00 (all zeros here)

no idea why -- perhaps there was an MCB here (possibly freecom as it puts
various things at the top of the UMBs) and it was wiped out by something
... I'll try to narrow down and have a look later.

The MCB chain corrupted message doesn't occur when using umbpci instead of
emm386.

And will also have a look at DJGPP programs later (using cwsdpmi).

Bart