Eric Auer schreef:

This also needs a test whether area is writeable...

I have been able to include 4KB blocks of all-zeroes or all-FF's in VMware.
X=TEST only picks the all-FF's (Free, available).
Autoscan also picks the 'all-zeroes'

-PROM (AA55 signature)

This allows skipping the whole PROM - searching for unused areas inside
is not recommended, and the ROM signature is followed by size information.

This is what I=TEST is for. It's a bit at-your-own-risk, but it converts areas which are indicated as PROM but are empty, into UMB space.

-misc (code fragments and random code).

Interesting idea - might help to detect memory-mapped-I/O areas, e.g. of
network cards and disk controllers. Would possibly be over-careful, but it
can be used in some "X=auto" mode :-).

The autoscan usually maps these areas as UMB. X=TEST is more restrictive/conservative,
but Michael and Tom decided to match MS EMM386 behaviour, so the most restricted mode is only used on a generic bootdisk for example
(if loading EMM386 at all), like Erwin's NwDsk project.
I=TEST is only something one should use on their own system to maximize UMBs if wanted/needed.

And now I wonder why Steve Gibson (GRC) favours PTSDOS (commercial) above FreeDOS (free, and free to distribute).

I'll try to test FORMAT today.

Bernd