Tom has of course every reason to be pissed -- and in the latest emm386 he
released there *is* an lsm file. The problem really stems from this I think:

on www.freedos.org you can read:
Michael Devore wrote: Uploaded to ftp://ftp.devoresoftware.com/downloads
are the files emm386.zip and himem.zip containing uncompressed executables of,
respectively, EMM386.EXE and HIMEM.EXE, plus the source files modified in
this latest version.

so these are *updates* not full releases.

Now I download, say, himem.zip from there and I see a 8620 byte zipfile
containing two files, himemc.c and himem.exe. Looking at HIMEMC.C I can
see that it "this stuff is copyrighted (c) by tom ehlert,given to the
FreeDOS project under GPL license", so itis under the GPL license. This
means that himem.exe also is under the GPL license.

Now looking at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/himem/

there is *also* a himem.zip that is 100% identical to the one at
devoresoftware, and is hence, an update and not a full release.
So it is *wrong* to distribute this as *the* himem, it's only an update!

For the full release I might want to go to:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/himem/himem64/
???

there is a himem64s.zip here. Still only two source files, nothing else.

Looking further.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/himem/old/old/emm38607.zip
-- a Jan 4 release that finally contains the full source code

But at
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/freedos/emm386.zip
I find a full Jan 29 release using the GPL.

Moral of the story:
1. please do not make updates to appear like full versions
2. do not change the .lsm file so that it does no longer correspond with
the source files!

I think no blame should go to Michael Devore since he always made it clear
that it was an update, not a full release.

Bart