Hi Bernd,

Bernd Blaauw wrote:

David O'Shea schreef:
> I put a bunch of notes at http://wiki.fdos.org/Main/Mem I have > done > just about everything except /FREE (should be simple like /MODULE > since > it just means filtering the list) and your suggestion of > /NOSUMMARY > (should be easy too of course). I have also not done any work on > an > 8088 version. GNU_man said he was doing some work on this, I > think, and > I got Eric to forward on an email to him from me but I didn't get > a > response, possibly due to Hotmail being extremely agressive with > spam
> filtering (if that is the case, my apologies go out to GNU_man!).

hi David, glad to see you're extensively making use of the Wiki :)
I've never worked with it, but will have to learn it sometime soon.

       Having all of my notes on a web page that everyone can see,
and using a tool which is very quick to edit those nodes so that I am
more likely to keep them up-to-date, will be of great benefit to
everyone when I suddenly disappear from the community :)

Your notes seem very complete.
I'd suggest a 8086 version with 386 optimizations/possibilities, not a '80386+-exclusive version & a 8086 version' like many other programs.

       That sounds like a good idea given that the tool's performance
isn't critical - it's not like it's the kernel or even a program that
spends very much time running like CHKDSK.  I've never had to write a
program that worked like this but I guess I will figure it out :)

Another suggestion, but probably too difficult to implement,
is to get the versions from loaded programs.
This means
'drivername in memory --> find binary --> find version string'

       I guess finding the binary isn't too bad, but getting the
version string would be quite hard?  I think that lots of *nix-like
applications that are in CVS often have a string in them like "$Id:
..$", but even if all of the FreeDOS tools had that, it would not be
possible to read it due to the use of UPX.  I guess if we added UPX
de-compression code to MEM it would cause a bit of bloat and then
folks would be unhappy about that :)

       I guess that having the version information is useful when
people are asking for support, though, as you could see what versions
of some drivers/TSRs they had loaded.  Unfortunately although MEM
shows the versions of HIMEM and EMM386 which are both pretty important
ones, we don't actually get the real version numbers :) Perhaps we
could include in the distribution a batch file which gathers
information useful for providing technical support, e.g.:

VER /R
MEM [probably specify lots of args here]
HIMEM /?
EMM386 /?
<<<

Regards,