Markus Laire wrote:
Slashdot has an article "Microsoft FAT Patent Upheld"
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/11/0555252&tid=155&tid=109

The discussion also links to the page "FAT File System Technology License"
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp

Does anyone know if this is a problem for FreeDOS or not? The linked
page about FAT license only speaks about using FAT on a media, and not
about products using FAT.

Right, the page you linked to:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp
is the important one. As I understand it, the impact will be to manufacturers of devices. Specifically mentioned in the fat.asp page are:

-A license for removable solid state media manufacturers
and:
-A license for manufacturers of certain consumer electronics devices

-jh

--
I'm sorry my president's an idiot. I didn't vote for him.