I started looking more into the patents in question, and I'm not really concerned with respect to FreeDOS. The 3 patents listed on <http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp> are:

* U.S. Patent #5,579,517
 Common name space for long and short filenames

* U.S. Patent #5,758,352
 Common name space for long and short filenames

* U.S. Patent #6,286,013
Method and system for providing a common name space for long and short file names in an operating system

The abstracts for each look identical:

"An operating system provides a common name space for both long filenames and short filenames. In this common namespace, a long filename and a short filename are provided for each file. Each file has a short filename directory entry and may have at least one long filename directory entry associated with it. The number of long filename directory entries that are associated with a file depends on the number of characters in the long filename of the file. The long filename directory entries are configured to minimize compatibility problems with existing installed program bases."

None of these are directly related to FAT, per se. They are more directly related to VFAT & LFN support. IANAL, but this doesn't look very applicable to FreeDOS sans LFN.

-jh

Links:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=5579517.WKU.&OS=PN/5579517&RS=PN/5579517
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=5758352.WKU.&OS=PN/5758352&RS=PN/5758352
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=6286013.WKU.&OS=PN/6286013&RS=PN/6286013

--
I'm sorry my president's an idiot. I didn't vote for him.