Hi,

would people here support a conversion of the FreeDOS CVS repository
(kernel, freecom, install, mem) to Subversion (SVN)? One big plus is
that CRLF problems would be mostly a thing of the past... what has
happened a lot is that people check out CVS files on *nix, get LF line
endings, correct them to CRLF, check them back in, people on Windows
check them out, see CRCRLF nonsense line ending, correct them, check
them back in, and the game continues. Or files in .zip files get the
wrong line endings, etc. With Subversion, you can specify a CRLF line
ending for all text files so these things won't happen. I've used
Subversion for a while with DOSEMU and it works well.

I must say (from private mail) that Eric would rather stay with CVS
because of unfamiliarity with SVN and the fact that the working
directories take up twice the space (ie. 4MB instead of 2 for the
kernel for instance). The extra space comes from the caching of the
repository contents locally, which has its advantages too because an
"svn diff" or "svn revert" does not need to contact the server.

Another thing that may annoy some is that there exists no SVN client
for DOS. On the other hand, there exists no network aware CVS client
either... so I don't think anyone has ever checked out CVS sources
from SF on DOS. Thus this is more of a theoretical issue.

What do others think? I'd be happy to do the conversion myself.
Bart