Hi Ladislav,

> > You _need_ to include a copy of the GNU GPL with a copy of your
> > program. I don't see one here. This file is usually named COPYING.

> But it has no sense. LPTtest is supposed to be a part of FreeDOS and
> FreeDOS itself has own copy of COPYING. Why should every small binary
> to have own copy of this license?

I myself solve this by having a copy of the GNU GPL text on my
homepage. It is indeed strange to force people to download binary
and source and GPL in one zip, in particular for tools where the
GPL and/or sources is way larger than the tool itself.

> Maybe rather to spread it as public domain?

Unfortunately, you cannot - your code is still only a TRANSLATION
of Linux kernel code written in C with GPL license FIRST to Pascal
and THEN to Assembly language,  but it still has some smell of GPL
sticking to it. As you have written several functions from scratch,
and as I have written some other functions from scratch, WE as the
authors of THOSE functions can re-publish those functions under a
Public Domain license. Then you could rewrite (stupid but true) the
rest of LPTTEST from scratch based on the ieee1284 specs or another
similar howto and then the whole of LPTTEST can become Public Domain.

This should be feasible: If you subtract the text messages and the
complex Assembly language way to do delay, xwait, command line
parsing and string and number output for DOS, only something about
maybe 0.5 kilobytes of the 2 kilobytes of the LPTTEST.com binary are
still made based on GPL source code anyway.

While I do like the GPL, in particular version 2, I also agree that
it makes life unnecessarily complicated if you only write a quick
tool of a kilobyte or two and do not really care if others recycle
your code under whatever (maybe proprietary) license they like. So
the really TINY tools from my collection are often Public Domain.

Eric

PS: You should also have a look at some of the shorter alternative
licenses, including some copyleft ones... Check the list and...:
www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/COPYRIGHT2.html#3 and #5
www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt
www.gnu.org/licenses/info/Sleepycat.html <-- a copyleft one :-)