Hi Bruce,

today, on FreeDOS, we rely on codepages already encoded into printer's
firmware.

For instance, if I happen to be russian and type a text in russian then
there's no problem since I most likely have a russian printer which is
able to select russian codepages.

However, what happens if I'm brazilian and I want to print a russian
text in my brazilian printer? There's no cp866 on its firmware.

There are programs which are able to somehow "upload" a codepage into a
printer's RAM. There are ESC/P commands for that. I've tested a
shareware program (for Windows) called DOSPRN which does exactly that.
It has several codepages in its library. All I have to do is to type a
russian text under DOS, run DOSprn, select codepage 866 on it and send
the text to the printer. It works perfectly.

A solution like this under FreeDOS would be perfect because it would
override printer firmware limitations which are generally based on
geography. My Epson Stylus Color 740 inkjet printer certainly does not
have eastern european codepages in its firmware; on the other hand, most
likely the very same printer sold on the russian market does not have,
let's say, maltese codepage 853 or baltic codepage 775.

Another important point for this need is that I devised several
codepages for FreeDOS to assist several languages never previously
assisted by any DOS-like OS which, being my creation, are therefore
available on no printer's firmware. The idea is to be able to "send"
these codepages to a printer as well.

I've read a lot about ESC/P and ESC/P2 commands to know that this could
be accomplished on several printers; I know that there are some printers
who doesn't apply to that but many FreeDOS users would already be assisted.

It would be interesting if there was some program which could somehow
read the 8x16 font files encoded into FreeDOS CPI files so that it could
build printer codepages out of the display codepages; if this happens to
be too difficult or a big-time-consuming effort, I could provide the
shape of all characters of all codepages on a TXT file with, let's say,
matrixes of "0"s and "1"s representing the dots the compose them. As a
matter of fact, I already prepared such file a long time ago. It has
many latin, cyrillic, greek, georgian, armenian and many other
characters which would already help us very much for a start.

If you want me to enter even more into details, please send me a
message: hperon @ terra.com.br .

Thanks,
Henrique