I want to react to part about the sound system.
I also strongly advocate Miles sound system in various discussions about DOS
sound interface. It is modular, many programs and games support it and new
drivers for new PCI and integrated cards can be written for it.
The DigPak/MidPak  more or less only different name for DOS part of Miles sound
system.