On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Rugxulo wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Joe Cosentino <hardmar...@comcast.net> wrote:

Who gives a shit?

I don't know, that's why I'm bringing it up. Constructive criticism is
welcome (but ...).

It's included in MS-DOS 6.22, it'll be included in FreeDOS.

That's not a good metric since, as mentioned, FreeDOS doesn't include
other things (link, qbasic, dosshell -> wlink, bwbasic, doszip ?), at
least not in "BASE". (Besides, apparently MS-DOS 5 is last to have it
by default without optional add-ons.)

MS-DOS 6.0 has DOSSHELL in base. (PC DOS never lost it; even the last retail version still has the option to install it off the base install disks. On the other hand, it dropped BASIC, BASICA and QBASIC after 5.02, and while LINK remained in MS-DOS until 4.01, its last appearance in PC DOS is all the way back in 3.20.)

Like I said, I don't really care if it's included, but please not in "BASE".

It's not hurting you is it?  You don't suffer from erectile
disfunction because you "dir" and see exe2bin listed there do you?  NO!

It literally does nothing. I mean, how can you use it with a
"BASE"-only install? You can't. You need other (external) tools. Most
compilers and assemblers don't need it. All I can think of offhand is
MASM, and "we" don't include MASM (obviously) nor even JWasm in
"BASE".

It's an "old" copy (1.5) from OpenWatcom. At the very least somebody
should update it to 1.9, though I personally doubt the functionality
has improved at all. (Perhaps somebody should compile it with
/d_WATCOM_LFN_ or whatever, at least that would be an improvement,
sheesh.)

I may suggest that since anything that really could use a linker comes with one, and exe2bin functionality is in most of them as well, having one in FreeDOS is redundant anymore.

IBM actually dropped EXE2BIN the first time after 3.2 - 3.3 and 4.0 do not have it, but it came back with the DOS 5 reunification, to go away again with DOS 7. (I just did some analysis of DOS versions all the way back to 1.0x and all the way up to 7.0, to make sure my information here is correct!)

Other commands which were dropped by the 6.22 era, or at least relegated to a separate download/purchase, were ASSIGN (MS-DOS 6), BACKUP (MS-DOS 6 and PC-DOS 6, although MS-DOS 6.21 - but not 6.22, again - has it in base and PC DOS 7 also has it in base), JOIN (MS-DOS 6), MIRROR (made redundant with updates to FORMAT in DOS 6?), MSHERC (only used by QBASIC, QuickBasic and Visual Basic anyway), PRINTER.SYS (MS-DOS 6 and PC-DOS 7) and RECOVER (MS-DOS 6 and PC DOS 7).

-uso.