> I think your only two choices are to abort, or to try skipping over the
> first "hole" you find and try to find another one with enough consecutive
> units.

Ah, true, finding enough consecutive free CDS entries elsewhere would work
too. However, as I stated in the other mail, I think that assigning
non-consecutive entries is possible too - and would probably do for most
drivers.

> BTW, that's another advantage of designing modern programs

Yeah, well, that's true. On the other hand, there's system-specific things
in DEVLOAD that one needs to figure out to install drives oneself, so
while programs doing everything on their own are the most flexible,
they're also more tricky to write and more dependent on system internals.

Regards,
Christian