Op 9-8-2011 20:30, Ralf A. Quint schreef:
> But a VM is not (real) "hardware"!
> And if a certain VM doesn't support to emulate hardware in a way that
> (Free)DOS runs without an issue, I seriously fail to see how FreeDOS
> can possibly do anything about it.

There's been a few examples already of software dealing with quircks in
emulation/virtualisation environments:
1: emm386 auto-excluding an UMB region if running inside VMware.
2: UIDE's /E switch as an attempt
3: JEMM's NOINVPLUG setting

And ofcourse there's a way of detecting virtual machines by backdoor
ports or very specific 'hardware' (VMware SVGA adapter for example).