C++ has become a very obscure language, that is generally not used very often
anymore.

Objective C is much bigger then C++ now.

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: "Steve Nickolas" <usots...@buric.co>
Aan: "Technical discussion and questions for FreeDOS developers."
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Verzonden: Dinsdag 26 mei 2015 17:25:54
Onderwerp: Re: [Freedos-devel] FreeDOS (ODIN) and 8086 compatibility

On Tue, 26 May 2015, Edouard Forler wrote:

> Most of the tools (format, etc.) were written in C, but command.com,
> io.sys and msdos.sys were written in assembly. For me, ms-dos is just
> these three files and especially msdos.sys.

I tend to favor this approach too.  The resident components are better
written in ASM for speed and reduced memory footprint while the userland
is better written in C for ease of development and code-sharing between
components.

> C is OK. C++ can be awful. It takes a lot of cpu to make the dynamic
> dispatch and memory allocation, since it's object-based. That's usually
> where the bottleneck lies.

C++ is a terrible, imo, OS language.

C is just at the right point between high level and low to be most useful
for these things.

-uso.