Eric,

It’s simple. Every piece of computer hardware comes with a Windows driver.
Depending on the age of the device, you may have the older Windows drivers, or
the newer Windows Driver Model driver. The reality is that to the major
manufacturers of hardware, DOS is dead. No one is using a 16-bit OS, especially
DOS, excluding our demographic, or as an “emergency boot disk". The bare
minimum is 32-bit and now the transition is to 64-bit operating systems. DOS is
so “dead” that VMWare, Parallels, and VirtualBox (even though the latter is
aware of FreeDOS/MS-DOS usage) do not provide integration services or support
for DOS and Windows 3.x

USB support in DOS is limited to hard drives only, perhaps USB keyboards and
mice as they can emulate their PS/2 counterparts. What about USB game
controllers, if you weren’t fortunate enough to buy a game controller that runs
off the game port of your sound card, you’re definitely not getting it to run
on FreeDOS. Which means you have to play your favorite video games using the
keyboard.

It’s true, you can install Linux or another OS, install the emulator of your
choice, connect your game controller and have it emulate as a game port
controller in FreeDOS, but what if you only want FreeDOS on your machine?

If we are able to graft the Windows API into FreeDOS (as FreeDOS 32) then we
have access to thousands of drivers. If Windows is just so bad, then I guess
we’re left to contemplate a way to graft the Linux driver model onto FreeDOS.
Somehow, I think it would be much easier to do Windows.

Hope this helps,