Well, I am for from being an expert too on that.
I tend to believe, code page 437 which was mostly the standard in DOS
(at least US version)...
was later mostly replaced by code page 1250 in Windows.

Edit: looks like I am wrong: "ANSI Windows code pages, and especially
the code page 1252, were called that way since they were purportedly
based on drafts submitted or intended for ANSI. However, ANSI and ISO
have not standardized any of these code pages. " from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_code_page

ANSI is shown here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa245259(v=vs.60).aspx where
olid blocks are undefined characters and may appear differently on
output devices. I did not took time to study this chart to know which
code page it is.

In FREEDOS, http://www.freedos.org/technotes/technote/txt/141.txt is
likely the reference.

Also in http://www.freedos.org/kernel/config.txt we have:
"COUNTRY

Usage:  country=nnn[,[mmm][,[d:][path]file]]
Only limited country=nnn support is presently available.
Enables/sets international features of DOS
nnn is country code (001==US)
mmm is code page (437 is default, 850 is updated form, 1252 for Windows)
[drive][path]file specifies file with country specific data
e.g.  country=001,850,C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS"

Yeah, it is not too obvious, and I did not read all that myself yet.