It sure can :)

The most straightforward way I can think of to do this would be to use eliminate everything from FreeCOM on up. This would leave you with the FreeDOS bootloader and kernel.sys. Kernel.sys seems to only need command.com, so whatever you make could load in its place right there, also named command.com. Kernel.sys would then need patched or recompiled to remove the simple boot message.