Hi! This might be warming up long-fixed bugs, but at least in my
personal DOSEMU installation, I notice that FreeCOM fails to beep.

As Stas found some question about FreeCOM beeps, I looked at the
code and notices that it explicitly beeps, instead of sending a
BELL character to CON. The problem is that SOME versions of our
FreeCOM hung when they try to beep, for example on tab-completion
if I remember correctly. Do common FreeCOM versions beep correctly
for you, both on real hardware and inside DOSEMU?

And could somebody have a look at the implementations of relevant
Turbo C, Borland C and OpenWatcom library functions like sound(X),
delay(X) and nosound() which are how FreeCOM beeps? It usually is
invoking 900 Hz beeps of 200 ms duration and 100 ms post-silence.

One possibility would be to implement the three calls manually in
FreeCOM itself, to make it independent from compiler troubles. For
example NANSI does that: It deals with port 42, 43 and 61 for the
sound and nosound task and polls the 40:6c timer counter to figure
out how long roughly 2/18th of a second are, which is exact enough.

Another possibility would be to give FreeCOM a command line option
to send LOCAL_BELL to CON instead of using the custom 900 Hz beeps,
which would help with systems where hardware speaker support is not
working and/or where the user wants to receive the BELL character.

It would sound less fancy but it would allow configuration ;-) NANSI
has the /B and /Q options to select BIOS or NO beeps instead of the
default 440 Hz custom hardware beep of NANSI and yet other systems
may have tools which do a "visual bell" effects when CON gets a BELL.

Thanks for having a look :-)

Regards, Eric

PS: In FreeCOM 0.84-pre2, DOSEMU 2.0pre4 simply stays silent instead
of doing beeps, which also happens when I use PLAY. Apparently it has
speaker simulation disabled, in spite of .dosemurc saying "emulated"?
The log says "CONF: not allowing speaker port access", not sure why.