On 10/16/2016 4:02 PM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. wrote:

>> The FreeDOS 1.0 installer offered 85 keyboard layouts. Why stop there?
> Mostly, I see no point in offering a keyboard layout for languages that do
> not have translations available for the installer at present. There have only
> been 5 translations provided for the installer. So, for example, I don’t think
> it is very likely that many people will choose English, German, Spanish,
> French, Dutch or Esperanto and be trying to use a Norske keyboard.
The part of the issue that you seem to be missing is that a lot of those
people will have a computer with a localized keyboard. And it can be a
pain in the posterior even if you try to work in an English language
software with a localized keyboard. For example on a German keyboard,
"Z" and "Y" are reversed, and several punctuation keys are in different
locations, "(" and ")" are for example also shifted to the left, "-",
"/" are in totally different positions (though for those usually the
workaround of the numeric keyboard works). And other languages are even
worse.
Again, that not only makes working in localized software difficult but
even trying to use English software/commands...

Ralf

---