Hi,

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Ercan Ersoy <ercaner...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> I think it would be great for someone to pick up the GNUish project
> again. Port the GNU Utilities (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/) to FreeDOS
> using OpenWatcom, or DJGPP. This is likely challenging, as it will
> require creating wrappers for different functionality, workarounds for
> other functionality that doesn't (or can't?) exist on DOS, etc.
>
> *That* is something that would be really interesting on FreeDOS! We
> already have some Unix-like programs in FreeDOS (cal, du, bc, grep,
> sed, ...) and a few utilities exist at DJ Delorie's repo, but AFAIK no
> one has created a comprehensive update to GNUish.

How many POSIX utils do you want? There are many:

* http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/idx/utilities.html
* http://rubyquiz.com/quiz97.html

Yes, DJGPP already has lots of stuff (File-, Text-, ShellUtils ...
aka, CoreUtils).

Yes, we already have 16-bit ports for many things (sed, awk, grep).

I think some stuff is more useful than others. E.g., I'd rather have
hexdump than od, for instance.

You should try to glean some stuff from old Minix 2.0.4 sources (in
C), which have been BSD-licensed for a while now:

 src/CMD.TAZ           - Commands sources (cp, ls, mkdir, etc.)

https://minix1.woodhull.com/current/2.0.4/src/CMD.TAZ

>From there it should be fairly easy to get some common things working.

Or try to borrow from Landley's Toybox (also BSD-licensed):

http://landley.net/toybox/

(But I think it's better to be specific and limit yourself on what
exactly you will need and actively use.)