> What I like of my approach, is storing initial startup time> on the CMOS,
> using the unused alarm records, which is by> far more efficient than storing
> a file. A couple of things to note.  First of all, you use the CMOS clock for
> your time stamps, which doesn't even exist on old computers (real or emulated
> computers with 8086/8088 CPU's).  So, your program needs to check to make
> sure the computer actually has a CMOS -- you can't just (safely) assume that
> it does.
 Also, you can't just assume that the CMOS alarm space never gets used.  I've
used the CMOS alarm functions in some of my programs.  I will admit that the
CMOS alarms are rarely used, but assuming they NEVER get used is simply
unrealistic.
 You really need to use the BIOS clock rather than the CMOS clock, since it
exists on all computers.  Also, if you don't want to use a file (which is
probably a good idea), you can get by with using only a small amount of
"regular" memory (conventional, upper, or high).  You could get by with just
two paragraphs of memory (32 bytes) -- one paragraph for the DOS Memory Control
Block and one paragraph where you can store your data.