On 10/29/2017 3:04 PM, Jim Hall wrote:

> Without getting in the *Free Software* v *Open Source Software*
> debate, I believe FreeDOS should be available to everyone, and should
> never become closed source. For that reason, I contributed my FreeDOS
> work under the GNU GPL.
I don't think that anyone would ever seriously consider to make FreeDOS
anything but "Open Source", available to everyone.
However....
> I want FreeDOS to only include tools and programs that everyone can
> use and modify, hence every program in the FreeDOS distribution is
> under the GNU GPL, MIT, or other open source license. I know the FSF
> isn't too fond of the OW license, but it is still open source (note:
> FSF doesn't like the term "open source" either). OpenWatcom works well
> and meets the criteria for FreeDOS.
IMHO, screw the FSF. Seriously. It has turned into one of those almost
religious fanatics entities that pretend to be "more pious than the
pope" (a translation of a German saying).

MS/PC-DOS predates the FSF, GPL and the Stallman virus. DOS itself (in
pretty much any incarnation, up to and including FreeDOS itself) has
always been depending on "less-than free" development tools.
GNU tools usable for DOS, including DJ Delorie's DJGPP, were never
intended as a tool for developing of any DOS, but rather to allow those
that were used to work with Unix tools to work with similar/familiar
tools on top of DOS, for which Delorie even had to write one of the
first "DOS Extenders" (GO32).

> That said, I'd love to see other tools become part of FreeDOS. If
> there was a DOS-native GCC that could generate 16-bit binaries in the
> different memory models, I'm all for that.
Don't hold your breath Jim. If there aren't any folks interested anymore
in maintaining OpenWatcom, how do you think there will be people
interested in spending their time on a behemoth of compiler to provide
the work necessary to develop that. Even DJ Delorie way back then
(started in 1989, pretty much unmaintained since 1998/1999) went (kind
of) the easy way out, going the 32 bit, protected mode, flat memory mode
route...

Beside OpenWatcom, there is only DeSmet C as a full fledged 16 bit DOS
based and targeting compiler, though only two memory models (small and
huge), that's available with an Open Source license. And to me, who
would like to see things more practical than overly idealistic, even the
freely available versions of TurboC(++) fit the bill just fine, likewise
for Digital Mars C/C++, which is not Open Source, but still a high end,
freely available compiler with a plain 16bit DOS target (though the
compiler, pretty much like OpenWatcom, doesn't itself run on DOS anymore).

Ralf

---