Am Sonntag, dem 29. Okt 2017 schrieb Jim Hall:

> That said, I'd love to see other tools become part of FreeDOS. If
> there was a DOS-native GCC that could generate 16-bit binaries in the
> different memory models, I'm all for that.

The problem is not only in the code creation, but you also need some
libc functions. The libc of DJGPP is tied to the protected mode (DPMI).
The libc of OW has an incompatible license...

How do you think about porting some things to bcc?

It is quite easy with preprocessor macros to make code compatible
with pre-standard compilers, without losing anything for modern
compilers.

The FSF encourages this:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-C.html

I know some more tricks and quirks of bcc...
If you want, I could try to write a small porting guide.

I don't have an overview about FreeDOS, so could you recommend
some easy tools for the start, I should have a look at?

Bcc supports the small and tiny memory models. The libc is lacking,
but you can write code in inline assembly, if you can, to add missing
features. (I only know some few basics of assembler and DOS/BIOS.)

By the way, can anybody tell me, how to access environment variables,
when the compiler doesn't support it? (no getenv() and environ=NULL)

--
AKFoerster <https://AKFoerster.de/>