There tools like ChipGenius and another one out there. They are used by german CT magazine and similar to identify those china-fakes with horrendous GB amounts of space, but in real they are just 4GB sticks. I searched a while now, but I cant find the other tool as I forgot it's name... One of those tools I've seen in those stick-tests was able to write configuration data on the stick's controller.

Also it could be helpful to identify the controller chip by it's label. Is it possible to open your stick? If so, is the label readable?