Hi,

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 4:18 AM Michal Kochman <michalkoch...@email.cz> wrote:

> So I am thinking of writing a simple program which would display a photo and
> waited for the right key.
>
> What's the best way to achieve this, is there some nice crosscompilation
> chain to use? What aproach would you suggest?

The obvious choices are all based upon similar GNU tools:

1). FreeBASIC (which has partial lang QB compatibility among better
FBLITE and FB dialects)
* https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/files/
* https://freebasic.net/forum/
* http://games.freebasic.net/

2). Free Pascal (which has almost full mode TP compatibility, plus
obligatory newer Delphi)
* https://www.freepascal.org/
* https://www.lazarus-ide.org/

3). DJGPP (standard C and C++), Allegro 4.x is old but still works
* http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
* http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/getting.html
* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.os.msdos.djgpp
* https://github.com/andrewwutw/build-djgpp/releases (N.B.
MinGW-hosted cross-GCC 7.2.0 standalone)
* https://liballeg.org/
* https://www.allegro.cc/

I wish it was simpler, but things are quite a mess! Quite fractured,
lots of legacy (abandoned) code, some things may not fully work
without some elbow grease, etc.
Still, it can be quite fun and rewarding! Good luck!