On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 1:01 PM Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> Version checking might help a little, but not that much. Jim is very
> good at noticing new versions for things and posting “news” items
> about the big ones and mirroring raw versions to ibiblio. Also, there
> is some custom stuff running on my server that monitors original
> websites for the packages. When for changes occur it publishes that
> information to an RSS feed which is available as a channel in the
> Slack group.
>
> What helps a lot are when those updated programs are provided
> precompiled and in a “ready to go” format. Accordingly, volunteers
> who would take those raw updates, compile and organize them, update
> there metadata, check for conflicts, etc. would be a huge help.

[..]

I think we could use more people to help spot out of date packages. As
Jerome mentioned, I try to keep an eye out for new versions of FreeDOS
packages and a lot of open source DOS programs, and I post news items
on the website and mirror releases to the FreeDOS Files Archive at
Ibiblio. But I know I don't catch everything.

If you are the maintainer of a FreeDOS program and you make a new
release, don't keep it to yourself. PLEASE ANNOUNCE IT HERE. That
would help a lot. Then everyone can try it out, and I'll see the
announcement and make a copy on Ibiblio and post a news item.

If you aren't the maintainer, but you notice a FreeDOS program has a
new version, PLEASE SHARE THE NEWS. "I just saw that program ___ has a
new version, new features seem to be ___ and you can get it at ___."
Hopefully you'll announce it here so we can all learn about it. If you
don't want to email the list, you can also email me and I'll post the
news item, etc.

If you notice a FreeDOS package is out-of-date and there's a new
version available somewhere, PLEASE LET US KNOW. The old version is in
the distro because we didn't see the newer version - not because we
prefer the older version. You can share that here, and we can all find
out about it. Or if you don't want to email the list about an outdated
package, you can email me and/or Jerome so the package can get updated
in the distro.

**Related: if you discover that a DOS program (that isn't part of
FreeDOS) makes a new release, please share that news with us, too.
It's always good to hear about new DOS development. And if it's open
source, I'll probably post a news item about it on the website. [I
usually wait until a program has at least two releases before I post a
news item on the website, just to make sure the program is actually
being maintained by someone. But I usually tweet any open source DOS
program announcement from the @freedos_project Twitter account.]

Jim