Hi Tom,

to quote a 2018 FAT16 speed test example by Jack, copying a
mix of files and directories of different sizes disk to disk:
Plain FreeDOS 65s
With LBACACHE 61s adds a small cache
With UIDE 51s adds UDMA and larger cache
With UHDD 47s all the above plus read-ahead
With XHDD 43s all the above plus I/O transfer overlap

Plain MS DOS 6.22 39s
With UIDE 30s adds UDMA and large cache
With UHDD 27.5s all the above plus read-ahead
With XHDD 26.5s all the above plus overlap

By now, the drivers have evolved further, but you can
see a clear speed difference both with and without them.

Interestingly, even FreeDOS XCOPY takes 10 % longer
than MS XCOPY (both on MS DOS), probably because we
use unaligned copy_file() buffers and call getdfree()
too often. Could work with incremental estimates and
only call getdfree() when in doubt. Also: chmod r/w?

In a more recent 635 MB CF to CF copy test by Jack,
FreeDOS XCOPY with MS DOS kernel and UHDD took 26
seconds, versus 44 seconds in FreeDOS. While CF is
probably a low IOPS medium, there is some room for
improvement for FreeDOS, even with harddisks or SSD.

Regards, Eric