Someone had emailed me to ask how to get a list of extended ASCII
characters into a file on FreeDOS (the Alt key trick doesn't seem to
work under a virtual machine). So I wrote a program to help them to do
that.

Because this is a simple program, I've released it into the public
domain. I've also posted it on Ibiblio, because I was unable to email
the zip file to this person). If you need such a program, you can find
it here:

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/user/char.zip

Usage is:
    char [n ...]

(If you don't give any options, you'll get a usage statement.)

So if you want to print out the degree symbol (ASCII decimal 248) you
would type:

char 248

(ASCII codes not in 0-255 are printed as '?' instead.)

You can give multiple characters, and the program will echo them one
after the other. So if you wanted to type two degree symbols, you
would type:

char 248 248

The program is written in C, and compiled using OpenWatcom:

wcl -os -mt char.c

Jim