Hello FreeDOS Community,

The wait for 1.3-RC5 is over. It has arrived!

There are so many changes, improvements and updates that it is not practical to
go into it all. But, I’ll point out a couple special things to look forward to
in RC5.

New FreeCOM 0.85a
New Kernel 2043 and an 8086 version with FAT32 support.
FloppyEdition now uses compression and requires about 1/2 as many diskettes.
The return of FDNet
Some new programs and games.
Many many many package updates.
Some updates and improvements to NLS.
Better handling of if/when to overwrite the MBR.
Some support to automatically set the COUNTRY.SYS information.
Improved CD initialization for the boot media and installed system.
much, much more.

As discussed during the online get-togethers, we intend to eventually move bug
reporting from SourceForge over to the https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS
<https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS> group page on GitLab. Around the release of
1.3-Final, we will probably freeze reporting on SourceForge entirely. This will
not effect the mailing lists. Only bug reporting will be affected.

With the GitLab pages being the first stop to report bugs, a contributor can
see all the projects related to FreeDOS. Also if that project is actively
maintained elsewhere, there is a prominent link to point them at the developers
website for reporting issues.

Release announcement on the Website and places like Facebook will be made at a
later time. But, you can go ahead and grab RC5 from the Official FreeDOS
download site at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.3/previews/1.3-rc5/

<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.3/previews/1.3-rc5/>
 or from my server at https://fd.lod.bz/releases/1.3/previews/1.3-rc5/