Hello,

> On Dec 31, 2021, at 5:03 AM, Emir SARI via Freedos-devel
> <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been making the final tests for the installer in Turkish, and have
> some questions below.
>
> Also, the installation process seems to be pretty slow on QEMU. I have used
> qemu-system-i386 -m 32m -drive file=drivec.img,media=disk,format=raw -drive
> file=FD13LIVE.iso,media=cdrom -boot order=d command. Any suggestions for
> improving the speed are welcome.

While the installer (FDI) is not fast, the main issue is your whole VM is
really slow. I could even see the initial boot menu drawing each line. I think
most of the “slowness” your experiencing is video related. You really want to
enable some sort of acceleration. Jim has shared his invocation of QEMU a
couple times. I think the command line may be longer than "War and Piece".

https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/36905969/
<https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/36905969/>

> I am also attaching the videos of my installation[1]. I understand that
> letters with accents and diacritics might shift a little bit, but the Turkish
> letter ı also seems to shift. It would be nice to improve this a bit.

Yep, it could use a better Turkish font.

The installer itself needs to repeatedly change fonts and does not use the
codepage system. It uses vfont and V8F (vfont font files) to accomplish that.
The V8F files contain only the subset of characters that need to be changed
from the default character set. That can include the standard ASCII characters
or not. vfont can load normal FNT files (like those in the GNUFONTS package).
But, for the installer (and limited space on floppies) it uses the V8F format
files to cut the size in half or greater.

I need to make a doc file on “how to make those v8f files”.

Anyhow, that is all maintained at
https://github.com/shidel/fd-nls/tree/master/fdi/language
<https://github.com/shidel/fd-nls/tree/master/fdi/language>

> There is also a small visual glitch before changing the installer language
> into Turkish (see the video).

Since the installer does not clear the screen it will always be there.
That mostly goes away with faster video and looks better than everything
vanishing and reappearing.

> I will send a patch once I have improved the needed areas.
>
> Whilst checking, I have noticed that I am not sure about how all the failure
> messages are handled, I could not find the frame width for it. I guess they
> are displayed full screen. If so, please ignore.

I didn’t see any failure messages in the video.

But, if you mean just in general… There are only two. One for normal mode and
one for advanced mode.
See the section starting at line 113 in the english version.
https://github.com/shidel/fd-nls/blob/6fe293d50feeb938de3bd8c8c700a53740f2d652/fdi/language/en/FDSETUP.DEF#L113

<https://github.com/shidel/fd-nls/blob/6fe293d50feeb938de3bd8c8c700a53740f2d652/fdi/language/en/FDSETUP.DEF#L113>

> There is another issue with the keyboard layout name definition files. I
> would like to make some corrections, like some countries are defined by their
> names instead of the language name (e. g. Brazil, Holland, Denmark etc.).
> Also some layouts are not clear, like which French is the AZERTY one? I want
> to proceed with the changes but I am not sure how to handle the encoding. I
> can modify them to UTF-8, and make corrections in all languages, would that
> be okay? I think we can change all languages before the release. I can
> proofread Turkish and Russian and send a public patch for everyone to see
> after changing the languages.

First, the installer files can not be in UTF format.

Also, Do not modify and submit updated versions of the files on the install
media. Most files of the installer files on the install media undergo a little
or a lot of modification by the release build environment (RBE). Consider those
files compiled executables. Changes need to be made at the source level.

If I understand what you are asking….

There are two separate systems in the installer regarding keyboard settings.
The first is the Main selection screen. The installer attempts to pre-select
the one matching the users language. The number of keyboard selections matches
the number of languages the installer itself supports.

The second system is slower but allows any number of additional keyboard
choices.

When looking at the keyboard sources, the distinction is a little clearer.

If the installer was an EXE, it would use only one system for selecting
keyboards. However being batch based, breaking it into two pieces yields better
performance and overall works better.

> Also, it was a while ago, but I was also able to start the Jerome’s new
> installer in Turkish. How to start that and from where? I would like to test
> that one as well.

New installer? Do you mean the FloppyEdition installer (FDI-x86)?

Although there are translations for FDI-x86, no means is provided at present to
automatically change languages. It will be added eventually. But, it is a low
priority for me. In the meantime, it can be done manually.

> I would appreciate any help (especially Jerome and thraex) :). I see that
> thraex already made some corrections (thank you!).

No problem. :-)

thraex has done a great job translating. He has also probably learned more
about GitHub, The Installer and V8Power Tools than he every thought possible
(or every wanted to either). :-)

> Once the issues are resolved, I will send a patch.
>
> Happy new year to everyone!
> Best regards,
> Emir

:-)