Hi,

> On Apr 2, 2022, at 10:20 PM, David Ormand <dlorm...@smalltimer.net> wrote:
>
> In the discussion about what version to assign to the next release:
> It has been my understanding that the version number code x.y is defined as:
>  x is the major number, which indicates a change in interface or function or
> some other large-scale impact, possibly with implications to backward
> compatibility.
>  y is the minor number, which indicates an incremental improvement.
> By this notion, as long as FreeDOS is undergoing incremental improvements, it
> would stay 1.y, however large y might get.
> And therefore a 2.0 would reflect a large change to the way FreeDOS works.
> Perhaps the start of a movement away from the "same as MSDOS 6.22" objective.
> Or perhaps a major change in the structure, such as a rewritten kernel, that
> doesn't affect compatibility at all.
> Not that I can say MSDOS itself held to this principle.  I was never aware of
> using versions of MSDOS with different major numbers, nor of the Borland
> compilers I always used having to issue an upgrade to accommodate a new DOS
> version, but I wasn't really paying attention, either.

I think that is the general practice. However if I try and look back to MS-DOS
days, I think the users perspective was a little different. Going from MS-DOS
3.3 through 6.22, it wasn’t really about major changes or breaking backwards
compatibility. It was more along the lines of bug fixes and the new great
features that were supplied with the OS. For instance, the addition of disk
compression to increase storage capacity.

:-)

Jerome